The Collaboration on Worldwide ICT Coverage for East and Southern Africa (CIPESA) is inviting purposes for Africa Digital Rights Fund (ADRF) to supply versatile and speedy response grants to pick out initiatives in Africa to implement actions that advance digital rights, together with advocacy, litigation, analysis, coverage evaluation, digital literacy and digital safety abilities constructing.
The Fund will encourage partnerships between actors, to leverage their collective proficiencies and develop a large community of lively, regionally-based digital rights actors.
Grant quantities vary between US$ 1,000 and US$ 10,000, relying on the necessity and scope of the proposed intervention. The grant interval is not going to exceed six months. A mean of 15 grants shall be awarded per yr.
Within the first yr of the Fund, solely organisations primarily based in East and Southern Africa shall be eligible. In subsequent years, the scope shall be expanded to cowl different areas of the continent.
Eligible Actions – Africa Digital Rights Fund Grants
The actions which might be eligible for funding are people who shield and advance digital rights.
These might embody however are usually not restricted to analysis, advocacy, coverage evaluation, litigation, digital literacy and digital safety abilities constructing, and collaborating in digital rights policymaking processes.
The grant funding shall be for a interval not exceeding six months.
Eligibility Necessities for Africa Digital Rights Fund Grants
- The Fund is open to organisations and coalitions working to advance digital rights in Africa.
- The initiatives to be funded will ideally have formal registration in an African nation, however in some circumstances organisations and coalitions that should not have formal registration could also be thought-about. Such organisations want to point out proof that they’re operational in a selected African nation or nations.
- The actions to be funded have to be in/on an African nation or nations.Ineligible Actions
- The Fund shall not fund any exercise that doesn’t instantly advance digital rights.
- The Fund is not going to assist journey to attend conferences or workshops, besides in distinctive circumstances the place such journey is instantly linked to an exercise that’s eligible.
- Reimbursements for prices which have already been incurred
- The Fund shall not present scholarships.
- Fund recipients are excluded from receiving a couple of grant at a time.Africa Digital Rights Fund Grants Guiding Ideas
The African Digital Rights Fund shall be guided by the next rules:
Transparency: The Fund shall be administered in a clear and open method. Details about the Fund and the procedures for accessing it shall be publically accessible on-line, promoted at related occasions and extensively circulated in on-line boards associated to web coverage.
Range and non-discrimination: Care shall be taken to make sure geographical illustration and variety of fund beneficiaries, with initiatives targeted on ladies’s rights, media rights, sexual minority’ rights and Folks with Disabilities (PWDs) rights strongly represented among the many beneficiaries.
Pace of decision-making: The interval from receipt of purposes to creating a choice on awarding the grant shall common one month for normal grants, and one week for emergency grants.
Privateness and safety: some initiatives or interventions supported beneath the Fund might have related dangers. CIPESA will make sure that the privateness and private information of at-risk beneficiaries are handled with confidentiality.
Constructing inside capability of beneficiaries: The place wanted, the Fund will provide assist to lift capability in such areas as monetary reporting, conducting advocacy, course of documentation, researching web freedom points, and securing private or organisational communications